As of Monday, November 20, the CNR Bridge on St. Paul Street West in St. Catharines will be closed to all vehicular traffic. The Region says the bridge is no longer able to safely handle combined traffic and snow load, and as such the bridge is closing before the start of winter weather. The removal of the bridge is expected to begin in the spring of 2024.
The planned detour route for vehicles is:
- Paul Street West to Pelham Road
- Pelham Road to Louth Street (Regional Road 72)
- Louth Street to St. Paul Street West
- Paul Street West to Louth Street
- Louth Street to Pelham Road (Regional Road 69)
- Pelham Road to St. Paul Street West
All businesses on St. Paul Street West will remain open and accessible during the closure. The bridge will remain open to pedestrians and cyclists until it is removed.